Wednesday, July 10, 2002

TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

Gino and I talked on the phone last night (what's new?). And the topic of our conversation was past TV shows. It was fun talking about the different TV shows, especially because most of them were sitcoms.

I was surprised that we both liked "Ang Manok ni San Pedro"! That was such a hilarious TV show. Lito Pimentel was just the perfect probinsiyano, and Balot was the perfect probinsiyano dad. Kristine Garcia was still very pretty then, along with Nadia Montenegro. I remember that even my dad followed this show, because it was so funny! I didn't like it that much towards the end though.

I don't remember a lot about "Don Kamote de la Mancha". I just know that it starred Cachupoy. I still remember Joey and Son, and I still can't believe sometimes that the little boy there, Ian Veneracion, grew up to be, well, what he is right now. I think he was around 3 or 4 years old in the show. Then there was Love Me Doods, with Edu Manzano. I really followed that show because I was such an Ana Roces fan. Other shows include Eh Kasi Babae, Chicks to Chicks, Palibhasa Lalake, Ok Tol, Hapi House, Young Love Sweet Love, Champoy, UFO (Urbana Felisa and Others), Lunch Date, Katok mga Misis, FFT (I don't remember this that much but I knew Giselle Sanchez was part of it), Student Canteen, Iskul Bukol, TODAS, TVJ, 13 14 15, Okay Ka Fairy Ko, Maricel Live!, Loveli Ness, Oki Doki Doc, Vilma in Person, and GMA Supershow with all the big production numbers. Imagine Aga Muhlach in Hapi House, with Isabel Granada and Chuckie Dreyfuss. And imagine Vilma Santos being tossed around in her dance numbers. And Maricel Soriano singing "I am what I am", lip synch, in her show. I remember Ms. Tapia and Mang Temy of Iskul Bukol, and I can imagine that people still call them that until now. I liked Oki Doki Doc because it featured two people who are not part of a loveteam - Aga and Agot. That just meant that people watched the show, not to be 'kilig' and follow their favorite loveteam but because it was interesting. Okay Ka Fairy Ko is also memorable, hmmm? The two fairies were very pretty - Alice Dixon and Tweetie de Leon. And Charito Solis as fairy queen was perfect.

I wonder which shows now will have a lasting impact on people, that 10-20 years from now, people can still remember and talk about the actors and the story lines? I'm placing my bet on Home Along Da Riles (of course it has been there for how many years now). The sitcoms now are too much alike, I don't know how one can stand out if talked about 10-20 years from now. Kool Ka Lang is hilarious, with their weekly themes, but they're being copied by all the shows!

Do you guys think that if the That's Entertainment people had a big reunion, you know, with everyone there, it will be a hit? I think it will be, as long as it's just a TV special, it's promoted well, and all the "flag bearers" of each day will be there, if not live, then through a video footage. Looking back, it may seem really "jolog", but we have to admit that That's Entertainment was so big then. And I honestly liked it, because Kuya Germs really wanted these kids to succeed. They were really trained to be creative and to perform well through their weekly contests, which the Thursday group almost always wins.

Hope you had as much reminiscing!

No comments: