Friday, August 23, 2002

ILLEGAL VENDORS


I have formed my opinion because I have assumed the following, based on the news. If my assumptions are wrong please correct me.

-These vendors are illegal vendors. They sell their goods in places where vendors are not allowed.
-The MMDA had a dialogue with them already, telling them to leave these places and just get stalls in the market.


This controversy has been going on for weeks already. The vendors are complaining because the MMDA (Metro Manila Development Authority) is really on their case. I can't understand it. The vendors break the law by selling in places where they're not allowed to sell (sidewalks, streets); the MMDA does their job by telling these people to transfer to the market stalls; these people don't listen and insist on selling on the sidewalks and streets; the MMDA does their job by pouring kerosene on the products; then these people complain. I compare it to this scenario: people selling pirated CD's, which are confiscated, then these people complain because the CD's were confiscated. It's so obvious that the CD's were confiscated because they're pirated. It's so obvious that kerosene was poured on the goods of the vendors because they are stubborn.

I've seen some footages in the news with vendors selling right under "NO VENDORS ALLOWED" signs. And these are the same people who talk to the reporters to say that "Bakit nila ito ginagawa sa amin? Bakit nila kami inaapi?" My question to these people is "Bakit hindi kayo sumunod sa batas?"

The market has stalls, which they can rent, if they want. I don't know their issues with the market. Some of them just want to get away with paying rent. Is the rent too high? Then raise a complaint against the local government. There aren't enough stalls? Again, raise a complaint against the local government. But don't complain against the MMDA because they're just doing their job. I actually like the idea of pouring kerosene over the products. There's no physical contact with the vendors anymore. Walang agawan, walang sakitan. The pouring of kerosene won't happen anyway if these people obey the law. I am only for this if the people are really illegal vendors.

I really have a problem with the idea that they will be allowed to continue selling on the sidewalk and streets. It's like saying they're above the law. They say that they only want to make a living. I have nothing against that, but they should do it right.





No comments: