Got this from Ganns' blog, with permission of course.
An Open Letter to Fernando Poe, Jr.
Dear FPJ:
You don't know me, and you probably never will. I am just one of 85 million after all, and you've far too many people admiring and encouraging you to notice one of few cynics such as I. As I write this, you're probably off at some campaign sortie, smiling through your suddenly clear eyeglasses, ending decades of hiding behind your sunglasses, and shaking the hands of thousands, if not millions, of adoring Filipinos until your own hands start to swell and bruise.
We are burdened, still reeling from the effects of two successive governments that have sucked us dry, and it is at this point in our country's history, when everything hangs in the balance, when we need a leader to whip us into shape, to strike the healthy balance of confidence and fear in our hearts, to inspire us to be a better people, is when you, you of no experience, you of little education, you of "sincere heart," decide to seek the presidency.
I would be lying if I said I weren't bitter with your decision, Mr. Poe. Contrary to what you say, you are no more different than all the other politicians who seek only survival in this constantly shifting wasteland of Philippine politics. You, too, will be beholden to others. You, too, will be belittled by the Philippine literati. You, too, in time, will be overthrown by yet another People's Power revolution, and mark my words, you, too, will go down in flames.
Why? Oh, why, Mr. Poe, do you wish to inflict this punishment upon yourself? Might it be because you, too, are selfish beyond belief? It does not take a high school graduate to see that while the popularist masses support you, the very people you need to assist you in the pursuance of your duties have no faith in you. The middle class does not support you. The business class does not support you. The Chinese do not support you. The OFW's do not support you. The youth, believe it or not, do not support you. The military do not support you. All who do support you are those over whose eyes you have managed to pull cheap wool, those who are willing to overlook their basic needs of food, shelter, and a secure future, to get a chance to watch your movies and, for a moment, look up at their Panday and sigh, hoping their memories of seeing your face will be enough to quell the biting pangs of emptiness within their emaciated gullets.
What do you know of governance, Mr. Poe? Running a film company and starring in your own movies is not like running a nation, Sir. There are no cuts, there are no second takes, and there is the uncomfortable, unforgiving reality of celluloid, print, and web media that freezes everything you do, say, and feel. Are you ready to be dragged through the mud, Mr. Poe? Will you be able to turn your other cheek to the calls of tuta! (puppet!)? Already, you are showing flashes of your irrepressible temper and sarcasm. What statesman replies, to the question "What can be done about the destabilizing peso?", "I don't know. Do you?" You have children out of wedlock, Mr. Poe. We are sinners, all, but you are called to be a stellar example of forthrightness and virtue, a notch above the rest. You wish to run for President, Mr. Poe, you must prove deserving of the lofty position.
Are you ready to face the chameleons, crabs, and crocodiles of Congress, Mr. Poe? Can you make a decision without Tito Guingona, Edong Angara, Ernie Maceda, and chief Senate clown Tito Sotto? Elaborate on why you do not support globalization, when all other Asian nations are headed in that direction. Tell me of your stand on the GATT, literacy campaigns, and the pork barrel. Explain to me why you think a debate is divisive, when all presidential candidates of all democratic nations have debate-type exercises, including the United States. As a matter of fact, please tell me your stand on anything at all, because the Filipino people deserve a leader, not Pinocchio!
If you are to be my president, I expect you to be the leader who will make me feel confident as he meets with Prime Ministers Blair and Koizumi, President Putin and future US President Kerry! I expect you to hold your own in a debate, and I expect you to bring foreign investors in, not scare them away! I expect you to be the godly man to lead this nation to greatness, not be remembered in infamy as the 15th president who dragged the Philippines to its destruction!
I have never seen any of your movies, Mr. Poe; I have selected to watch people like Raymart Santiago and Geneva Cruz over you, and Anak ng Pasig was, without a doubt, one of the worst films I've ever seen. But since I have not fallen under your spell, and neither have millions across this nation, you owe it to us, the ones not hypnotized by your inane action yarns, the ones whose minds were not hammered by your panday hammer, to deliver the goods. This is no film, yet it feels like one, and I am but one of your 85 million co-stars.
Nevertheless, I will relent and give in. I am called to apologize to you, Sir, for my vitriol, and support you, should you win, as God would have allowed you to take your presidency. I shall continue to pay my taxes, I will not leave my country. Finally, you can expect constant prayer from me, and I do pray that you take this job seriously, because being the president of a nation is not a position to be claimed on a whim.
Please, Mr. Poe, if this letter does anything for you, I hope it angers you enough to prove me wrong. I hope it boils your blood enough to make decisions that will be to the benefit of the country. If support is what you need, I will grudgingly give it after your election to the presidency. For the meantime, however, while it is still anyone's game, I will speak my mind and be one of a few thousand, if not million, thorns in your side, because you, Sir, stand to be, not simply a thorn, but a dagger through the heart of the Philippines, and I'll be damned if I am to stand by and watch my country bleed to death.
No comments:
Post a Comment