Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Bayani?

I used to like Bayani Fernando. I've seen what he has done for Marikina. There's order. You'll see that your money is being used for important things - firetrucks, bike lanes, etc. I like his conviction, I like it that he's always on his toes. I especially like that fact that he doesn't seem to be scared of anyone.

I'm having second thoughts now, because of the Katipunan brouhaha.

First, the trees. I don't believe that 'less traffic' is a reason to cut the trees, especially the old ones, along Katipunan. I believe that the main problem of the Philippines is infrastructure and the planning of the roads in general, not the lack of lanes. One morning I watched Bayani Fernando in Magandang Umaga Bayan and he explained that they didn't cut the trees. They got the trees, from the roots, and transferred them to Marikina. I felt better after hearing him explain. But one day I saw two trees cut at the middle of their trunks - RIGHT SMACK IN THE MIDDLE! I was so mad! Either he was lying on TV or he doesn't have control over what happens, which I doubt. He seems to be a 'hands-on' manager. From that time until now, I think I've seen a total of 4 or 5 cut trees. Big, old, trees.

They also took out the island in front of Miriam,which had some plants. Now they're taking out the island opposite Ateneo, leaving the trees (perhaps because of the restraining order). The island also has plants. Aside from the Ateneo fields, you won't see any trees or plants anymore. I'm dreading the effects because they sure will surface years from now. Their reason is progress. They have to do something about the traffic. I think that this is a very-short term solution because the number of vehicles will catch up with the width of the road in the near future. How about the long-term effects? The environment will be screwed up. Heck, we're feeling it now. Hot days in December, no more schedules for the typhoons... What are they doing about THAT?

Second, the U-turn. Chaos in the streets, believe me. I don't believe the U-turn helped with the traffic in general, because of all the accidents. The stoplights still work so people don't know if they should follow it or not. I think that they should accept that the U-turn scheme is not for everyone.

Mr. Bayani Fernando, I urge you to study Katipunan for a week and you'll see what we're talking about.



See? Traffic pa rin.

Related articles:
The Katipunan Road Controversy at Loyola Heights by Newsflash.org
No Turning Back? by The Guidon

No comments: