Adenoviral Conjunctivitis
Sheeeeet.
Okay, here's the background. I was sick from Wednesday until Friday so I had to take a sick leave. It all started with a sore throat, then I wasn't feeling well, then after a while I was coughing because the phlegm was acting up, then I had really bad colds. Imagine, SARS scare to the max!
Then, yesterday afternoon, my left eye became reddish. It wasn't really red, more of pink. It was just red under the eyelids - the hidden parts. I couldn't sleep well last night 'cause my right eye had so much discharge. When I woke up, my right eye was reddish as well. So I thought that I should consult the doctor about this. I went to American Eye Center in Shangri La because it was nearer than Asian Eye Institute (which is in Rockwell). Price is the same because employees of our company are entitled to a discount at Asian Eye Institute (regular consultation fee is P770).
Diagnosis: I have Adenoviral Conjunctivitis, OU. Or sore eyes. But not the usual one. The doctor said it's related to the sore throat that I have (yup, meron pa rin). I ruled out sore eyes last night because the eye wasn't really red and it wasn't itchy. I had to put Maxitrol drops but I shouldn't overdo it because that thing has steroids. Scary.
From http://www.cecats.com/pinkeye.html
Conjunctivitis is an infection or allergy of the conjunctivae. The conjunctiva is the outer lining of the white part of the eye. When infected, it becomes swollen, red, and has a watery discharge. For infections, conjunctivitis is usually cause by a virus, bacteria, and very rarely a fungus.
Conjunctivitis due to viral infection is the leading cause of a red eye. Usually one eye is affected first and then the other a few days later. The lids may be swollen. Conjunctivitis may develop during or after an upper respiratory tract infection or after exposure to a person with such an infection. A watery discharge may cause intermittent blurring, but vision is otherwise unaffected. Eye pain due to light is uncommon. Viral Conjunctivitis is usually self-limited and is gone within 1-2 weeks.
From http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2000/10_00/shields2.htm
Adenoviral conjunctivitis (figure 2e: not shown) is the most common cause of an acute, painful red eye. The disease is highly contagious. In general, eye medications should not be prescribed, because they are usually ineffective and can cause further contamination. Instead, patients should be instructed to avoid touching their eyes and to wash their hands frequently, drying them with disposable towels. If needed, the watery discharge can be wiped away with a moistened, disposable tissue or towelette; afterward, the hands should be washed meticulously. Communal activities, such as work, school, and day care, should be avoided as long as discharge is present (typically, 7 to 10 days). Patients in whom these conservative measures fail should be referred to an ophthalmologist.
Sheeeeet.
No comments:
Post a Comment