Tuesday, October 22, 2002

Homilies

I was thinking out loud about how priests should have subjects on extemporaneous speech and speech outlines (if it's read). My cousin heard me, and he said that the seminarians now have subjects related to this. I was really surprised, but it made sense because most of the younger priests give better homilies than the older ones.

I go to mass every Sunday, 5:30 at our Church. Two priests alternate. I really look forward to the masses celebrated by Priest 1, because his homilies are short, but they really make sense and they hit you. The homilies are interesting. On the other hand, Priest 2 always gets carried away, so he ends up giving long homilies which I don't understand. And so I don't pay attention most of the time.

Yes, mass-goers have the responsibility to pay attention during mass and absorb the 'lessons' of the Gospel. But I also believe that priests have the responsibility to make sure that people pay attention. They should do this by giving interesting homilies.

No comments: