How do you get rid of insomnia?
I've had insomnia for so long I can't remember when it first started. Not sure if it was high school or college. It goes away sometimes, but it's always there, ready to pounce at the next stressful period of my life. It has been really bad the past couple of months - it takes 3-4 hours for me to sleep from the time I turn off the lights and go to bed. Two weeks ago, I made sure I was in bed before 12 midnight because we had to go to Tagaytay early the next day. I was still awake at 4AM. Tonight, I turned off the lights and went to bed before 11PM. Still wide awake so I decided to just blog.
Most of the "remedies" don't work for me, so that's a problem. Warm milk - I have a problem with lactose. Exercise - Doesn't work for me, whether I exercise hours before I go to sleep or right before I go to sleep. Melatonin - I'm scared to try it because it has effects on people with severe allergies (I kinda have a lot of allergies). My next 3 options are taking benadryl (yes, my friend recommended this), taking a sleeping pill, or changing my bedroom habits - I've read a lot of articles that say that the bedroom/bed should only be used for sleeping (not reading, watching TV, etc.). The last one will be VERY hard to do, I don't think I'm ready to try that anytime soon.
Any other suggestions? Help!
3 comments:
cha -- try listening to religious music. like mga jesuit songs etc. works for me to calm me down.. parang brings me to a warmer , safer place.. no ek ek !! hehe. worked for me when i was having trouble sleeping when i was new here in singapore.
watch cory quirino's show... either you'll get sleepy sa inis or out of boredom!
I was an insomniac sometime in college. The only thing that works for me is this: If you really can't sleep, don't force yourself. This causes stress and will make it harder for your to fall asleep. But don't watch TV because it doesn't help as much as reading does.
Post a Comment