Monday, July 18, 2005

How would you react if someone close to you, someone you consider a dear friend, says "Your invitation and wedding sucked because I was forced to wear barong on a hot day and because it wasn't what I think weddings ought to be and your program was tacky because the emcee explained the meanings of the activities." It was indirectly said of course, but still...

My original question was "What would you do if...". I realized it was the wrong question, because... what could you do? Nothing. The wedding is over, a day that we considered one of the most important days in our lives. I just want to know how you would react if this happened to you, because I want to see if he over-reacted.

I felt bad at first, but I quickly realized that hey, everyone who means something to me loved the wedding, and they all enjoyed and had fun during the reception. So, why should I be bothered by these comments? I let it be and didn't even mention it to him. Little did I know that he found out about it the day before, and he felt really bad about it. Call me biased, but I do understand him, because first, it's a very important day for us, second, we put so much into the wedding (and I'm not talking about money), and third, I realize that you can't please everyone, but getting that kind of support and respect from a friend?

The excuse is that he wasn't talking about him directly. I guess the intentions were not to hurt him. Actually, I want to establish that as a fact. I really want to believe that. So what was that all about? Tactlessness? I do agree that we have to "be real" but I also believe that this doesn't mean you can do and say what you want, whenever, wherever.

Friendships are never perfect, and just like any relationship, there are ups and downs. What's important is that the friendship survives, no matter what. I don't know what will happen next, but I truly feel bad for him.

And talking about friends...

I'm not 'closey-closey' to a lot of people. I have a lot of acquaintances, yes. But I only have a few chosen friends who I really trust, love, and cherish. Some of them I don't get to talk to often anymore, but one text, one yahoo message, one email, brings everything back right away. I love my friends (you know who you are - if you don't, sasakalin ko kayo! Ehehe!). I love them for understanding my bitchiness, I love them for listening to me when I give them advice, I love them for always being there, I love them for celebrating with me on the most important day of my life. I love you guys!

(I know some of you guys have comments - email me! :p )

No comments: