Sunday, September 07, 2003

Honk!!!



I watched Honk! at the Meralco Theater today. It was very entertaining! You'd think that it's only for children at first, and this is supported by the fact that more than 50% of the audience were kids, but it's not. Honk! has lessons for everyone, young and old alike.

Agot Isidro was surprisingly good. I used to always see her in her noontime shows. Yes she sang well, but I never thought of her as having a great voice. But the Agot in the play sang very well, and the change is the result of a very good voice coach, I assume. I felt though that she held back in her dancing. I was also surprised with Franco Laurel, who played Ugly. I know that he has joined several musicals in the past, including Rama at Sita, but the Franco in my mind had a very weak voice. But the person who stole the show was Tonipet Gaba, as Cat. He's really a natural. I'm sure that most of you know Tonipet because of his commercials - the guy with the funny faces in the Bonamine and Chowking commercial, and the anchor/host of the old Surf commercial.

It could have been better if the microphones were not visible to the audience. There were also several glitches with the microphones. The set was simple, but it was very pleasing to the eyes. The costumes were also very amusing.

It was very pleasant to be with so many children, hearing them ask questions and hearing them laugh. Normally this would be annoying, but this afternoon was an exception. This may sound far off, but I was happy they watched because of the many lessons that they surely picked up.

Honk! was definitely worth every centavo.

No comments: